Monday, August 12, 2013

The Red Tinted Glasses In Kant Chapter


Prompt#4

In the chapter of Kant Sophie had seen red tinted glasses. These glasses were used to prove to Sophie that no matter how you look at it, everything is the same, just in a different color. The glasses only let Sophie see  a limited understanding of reality. Page 322 “Everything you see is part of the world around you, but how you see it is determined by the glasses you are wearing. So you cannot say the world is red even though you conceive it as being so.” Every other person’s perspective is different because we all come from different backgrounds and different places. People from Thailand are twelve hours away from the United States. They mostly eat with chop sticks and they love to eat really spice foods. Here in America, we eat a lot of sweet tasting food like rich chocolate ice cream and red velvet cheesecake.  When a Thailand citizen comes to America it is very different from their culture and how they do normal every day activities. My grandparents have taken in a girl named Gigi from Thailand and she tells me all kinds of different ways they wash their clothes, eat, and celebrate. Thailand has totally different ways to do things than we do.  The ways these questions connect with problems in my life is by thinking and understand my situations.  Every situation that happens in my life depends on the timing and space that happens with each problem.  We try to understand the problem and figure ways to get around it but in the end we learn from that problem and how to form to it and remember how to handle a situation in that form.   For example, Gigi has only been here for a week and she is already learning from her experiences here in the United States.  I try to remind myself that she is from the other side of the world, it is not that she does not know anything. I have been wearing red glasses for the past week because I can only see that she knows some English and understands a little bit of what I say. When I take the glasses off I see her as a normal human being just like me, living in the same state as I and she is participating in the same activities I do.  It takes a lot of understanding to be able to learn clearly without having obstacles that keep you from seeing what the actual picture is.

No comments:

Post a Comment